Transporting a horse is more than just getting the best horse floats for sale. If you’re new to transporting your horses, or have had difficulty traveling with them in the past, it is essential to know that there are several factors that create stress for your horse.
We all know that behind a stressed out horse is an even more stressed out owner. Here are some quick changes and tips on your transport preparations to significantly make the trip a whole lot less stressful for both you and your horse:
- Give your horse time to get familiar with your horse float. You may have bought the best horse floats for sale Tasmania, it may have been custom-built for your horse, and it may be the Ferrari of horse floats – but your horse doesn’t know any of that or care for that matter. Sometimes, even horses that have had their fair share of travel time can get a little upset over entering a new horse float. Give your horse time to move around the float, patience is key.
- Make sure your horse float is clean and sanitary. The last thing you want is for your beloved horse to acquire infections from your float. It doesn’t matter whether you’re getting a new horse floats for sale Victoria or using your old one; you have to make sure that the area is clean, sanitary, safe, and comfortable for your horse.
- Plan a short route. No one can stand a really long trip, even your horse. Plan the most efficient route and make it as short as possible. Also avoid long stopovers that leave your horse inside the float for long periods of time. Should this be inevitable, try to give your horse time off the float when necessary.
- Avoid unnecessary medication and over-hydration. Unless required by your vet or your horse has had history of dehydration whilst on trip, medication and over-administering of electrolytes can cause more harm than good. Consult with your veterinarian to avoid endangering your horse’s health.
- Pack the right stuff. Don’t forget to pack sufficient feed and water for your horse; also consult your vet about what you need to put in your emergency kit. Invest in a comfortable halter and good restraints.
Long trips can be difficult and stressful for anyone. Make sure you do everything necessary to ensure that the long trip is at least comfortable for your horse. And don’t forget to invest in great horse floats for sale – Plus towing ability and correct set up of your vehicle makes a huge difference in the comfort and safety of your horse. We can definitely advise further on this aspect. All you need do is call us on 1300 335 628